Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Let Them Be Little

This is a tough one for me.  This isn't about a specific brand, or an outfit that I fell in love with. This is about something that each of us wear everyday....on the inside.

Recently, a conversation took place on social media that targeted not only me, but Merce. Yes. My 6 year old daughter.  I could not care less if someone thinks my photography is the worst they have ever seen.  I could not care less if I am named the worst stylist ever. I am an adult. I am not innocent or perfect. Children are innocent and perfect.  EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.of them are.

I struggled with whether to put this out in the world, or to just stay quiet and let it go. I never confronted the persons responsible, even though I know their names.  I never took it to a larger group to "out" anyone, although it made it to other pages without my help....by people I don't even know that were appalled by the behavior. And it is those people that took a stand, not knowing me or Merce that changed my perspective on keeping quiet. I won't lie, I'm scared to put this out there but I'm more scared that someone else's child will be the victim of virtual bullying.

The saddest part is that this is nothing new.  This is not the first time that someone has made a comment about a child on social media. This is not the first time that someone has made a comment about MY child on social media.  But this is the time that I will take a stand, and challenge the boutique world to do the same.

In the boutique world of BST (buying, selling, trading) everyone knows the phrase "children are off limits".  In this world in which we are all preaching against social media bullying, there are grown women engaging in indirect bullying of a child.

Let's look at this picture.


This picture posted on instagram resulted in the following questions from one woman:
  1. Why does she always have on a dress on in tunic length with no bottoms?
  2. Why does she always appear to be in pain (or possibly constipated [insert speak no evil monkey emoji here--ironic huh?])
  3. Who does these photos? I'm not photographer but they aren't that good.

the third question is irrelevant. I don't care if others like my photography. As long as the shop owner we are shooting for does, we are happy. But #2 is unacceptable. Perhaps she thought it was funny? Maybe it was 'said' in the thread to amuse others? Maybe this person is just trying to fit in? I don't know the answer to that and never will. The answer doesn't matter to me. This comment was made in a large group of women, a 'secret' chat group on facebook. Many saw the comment and replied to it. Including some people that I had thought were my friends. Not one of them said "hey, not cool. hate the mom all you want but don't talk about her kid." or anything to that effect.  Later in the thread some mom's did come to the defense of the child, they were ganged up on. I would never allow Merce to see the things that were written, but.....she can read. What if she came across them? What would she think? How would she FEEL?

question 1, why does she always have a dress on in tunic length with no bottoms? That question came because they read this blog and like to critique it. Not only critique the blog but also judge that I am unintelligent by what they read here. And that I have no styling skills at all. And that's fine, it's all opinion. We love a good vintage length, vintage as in short. It was recently argued that vintage means below the knee. So to clarify, vintage = short in my world.  She ALWAYS has bloomies or shorts of some sort on.  and it's noted in each blog. Merce is tall. Her legs are long. And she moves ALOT so the bloomies and shorts ride up. She dances and twirls and jumps all through the shoots because she has fun...trying to stop her and pull her shorts down constantly would double the time it takes to do a shoot and make her self conscious about the length of her shorts.  I refuse to make my child feel she shouldn't be carefree and that she has to worry about the length of her shorts or what others will think of her.  

So I'm taking this stand. This stand that I feel is worth it, even if I am berated, belittled, or shunned for it. I stand for peace among the boutique world. I stand for children being off limits, and I challenge those that may see this type of behavior to stand up for others like you would your own child.  💗






32 comments:

  1. Amen!! And shame on them! She is a beautiful child of God and you have always represented her respectfully. My daughter knows Ava from seeing her pics, and I wouldn't hesitate to encourage her to model her style and posture after her. Well said. Unfortunate it has to be said. Friendliness is in short supply these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't love this enough! You know I would always have your back no matter what!

    And for the record, your a kick a** photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I'm SO sorry that people attacked you like that, but especially appalled that a supposed adult would be so thought, callous, or in my opinion, just plain mean (stupid) comments. I think you photography is beautiful and your daughter is absolutely precious! ❤️ Seems like some people are so miserable with themselves in their own world, that they try to tear down or inflict their nastiness onto someone they see as successful/pretty. I don't blame you for being upset, but try to remember the source and know it's their problem. Jealous people will unfortunately do this to you and your daughter in the real world as well as the social. Just make sure that your beautiful child understands that it stems from the other persons feelings of lacking in looks, grades, or success. Please tell her that no one defines her but God, and he doesn't make mistakes, or as Eleanor Roosevelt (I think) said no one can ever hurt you unless you allow them to. Try to brush it off as stupidity, or their own lack of self worth. Sending ((hugs)) and inner strength to you both! (KElizabeth Green)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said and amazing advice. Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love seeing Merce and her twirls with every new Nelly release!! She is such a Beautiful little girl. It is never ok to call out a child. Had I read what they were saying, I would have stuck up for your sweet girl. Like you said, that is there opinions, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. I think you do a wonderful job with dressing, photographing and raising her! Keep your head up momma. --- Samantha Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thank you! I am so grateful for the support.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to have a lot more to say soon, but want you to know that Addie and I stand with you! No child should ever be attacked(or person for that matter)! As adults, yes, we can handle it, but should not have to. Thank you for standing up and telling the world that our littles are off limits to bullying and that YES we want them to be little, and young, and carefree for as long as they can! I'm so glad she's young enough that she can keep that beautiful little girl life without being harmed by other negativity. Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate your support! I had so much anxiety about writing this at all, but your support is reaffirming that this was the right thing. <3 I can't express how much this means to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well said Jill Anne! It is rediculous that people feel the need to tear down others in this way, especially children. I'm glad you are taking a stand. I stand with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said Jill Anne! It is rediculous that people feel the need to tear down others in this way, especially children. I'm glad you are taking a stand. I stand with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is absolutely beautiful and it seems like the ones who would criticize a child are most insecure with themselves. Im sorry you've had to endure that sort of behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me cry reading it. I am so sorry you had to experience this but I applaud you for speaking out. It is NEVER acceptable to attack a child in anyway. I for one love your photographs. Your daughter is beautiful and portrays a sense of the carefree and innocence that childhood is all about. I assure you there are many more that stand with you than against you ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your kind words are much appreciated. <3

      Delete
  12. I'm standing with you, this is not ok and we will continue to speak out against this type of behavior. Thank you for wearing your heart on your sleeve to make sure this doesn't happen to another innocent child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope that if/when it happens again to anyone, someone will come to the defense of the child. and if it's a group that condones that behavior, they leave it. <3 Thank you!

      Delete
  13. I see nothing wrong with the length of her dress regardless if she has shorts or bloomies on. She is 6yrs old for god sakes. Let her have fun and dance and twirl around. That is what being a kid is all about. It's a shame that you or anyone else has to point out that kids are off limits. What is happening with people these days that they feel the need to put children down? Then adults wonder why their children are being bullied...because you are teaching that behavior. I stand by you 100% and would say something if I saw someone post negative things about a child. I would call them out in a heartbeat!! You rock momma!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry this happened to you and your sweet Merce. As mothers we should lift one another up and support each others endeavors because, let's face it, motherhood is HARD...so hard. It's even harder to raise happy healthy productive little people and maintain jobs, professions, or hobbies because it's a fine line. At the end of the day our journeys in life may be different, but we all have that sacred blessing of being a mother in common and that means something. It's shameful that someone lost sight of that so much they would be so hurtful to another human being much less a child. That little person/s we as mothers all hold so dear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I applaud you for standing up to this kind of behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry this has happened to you. It is a very sad world we live of for another person never mind parent to speak of a child that way. Part of me ok almost all of me is saying it's jealousy. You and your daughter are beautiful inside and out. You are stronger than any bully. And I stand with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 I am so appreciative of everyone's support. The only thing I hope to get out of this is for others to take a stand when/if they see it.

      Delete
  17. People are so cruel and hateful. My heart breaks for you. Simple words can cut so deep and it's a shame that grown women with children themselves are the ones saying them. Your daughter is beautiful. She's beautiful in every picture I see! Good for you for taking a stand! You've got a lot of mom's who stand with you! And just so you know, I guess I don't know what makes bad photography! I think they are great! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is a beautiful little girl. And I love the way you photograph her. It's sad so called grown adults act. Their is no need in bullying a child. Thank you for standing up for child bullying. <3

    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
    Luke 6:31

    Amanda Hall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The golden rule. We should all take note. ❤️ Thank you!

      Delete